[mythtv-users] Letterman finale runs long

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu May 21 10:36:22 UTC 2015

Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:

> I'm sure CBS are dutifully ignoring all of the complaints.  They don't
> care about you, the viewer.  In fact you are what they are selling.  As
> long as they can continue to sell you to their advertisers, what you
> think is of complete irrelevance.

Now, if a load of "viewers" all starting contacting the *advertisers* along the lines of "I see you advertise with CBS. CBS are <insert suitable venting here> and since they don't care what I say about their attitude to my complaints, I now have a policy of boycotting any products/vendors advertising on their channel(s). As such, consider yourself boycotted by myself and my friends for as long as you continue to support them.
So not only is your advertising spend with them wasted as many of us refuse to watch their channel (regardless of what the ratings may say), it is actually costing you since some of us are boycotting you because of it."

Again, as I've said before, one complaint will be filed in the "complaints from nutters" bin.
If a few tens or even hundreds of such complaints hit a marketing manager's desk then he'll start taking notice. If advertisers (ie those who pay the bills) start raising it with CBS then CBS will start to take notice. But that will only happen if *large* numbers of people complain.

Just "not watching" will do nothing. Just "not buying" will do nothing. In both cases your contribution won't even show in the noise. Only if large numbers of people actually contact the advertisers will anyone notice.

So if you feel strongly about it, start "rabble raising", pick a target or two (the biggest advertisers) and get complaining to them.