[mythtv-users] What's the deal with Kodi?

Andrew Leech coronasensei at gmail.com
Wed May 20 23:42:08 UTC 2015

On 21/05/2015 4:17 AM, Phill Edwards wrote:

> > I'm really surprised to hear so many of you moving over to Kodi as a
> front end. Am I right in thinking that Kodi is based on (or 'is')
> XBMC? I have tried XMBC roughly once every year or two since it came
> out as I feel I must be 'missing something'. Every time I try it, I
> uninstall it after a couple of days. I find it repeatedly horrible to
> set up, sluggish and ugly (compared to the best Myth themes) and I
> just don't see any benefits. I think MythTV with one of the nice
> themes (like the most recent Steppes), is SO much better.
> >
> > What am I missing? What is it about XBMC/Kodi that people like and
> even prefer?
> >

> I don't think you're missing anything. Kodi is a great product but
> when it comes to recording and watching your TV recordings I agree
> that mythfrontend is far better.

I feel mythfrontend does the tv guide better, commflag handling if
you're one of the lucky ones for whom comflagging works (I'm not, and
I've tried many times), and sticky keys during playback. That's about it
these days.
And it's far too heavy on resources.
I don't mean to be disparaging to the developers in any way, I've
contributed myself in the past, but kodi really has the momentum and
critical mass to bring more and more developers onboard.

Kodi has far more advanced music & video library handling, filtering,
viewing and playing.
Thumbnails and metadata always seem to just work. I know lots of work's
been done on this in recent years on myth, but I always had a highly
manual process (~ 10% of videos at least) to get meta and thumbs to show
the right show.
Streaming from airplay sometimes works on kodi, it never works (for me)
on myth.

I have a serious pet hate of switching devices/interfaces, that was the
driving reason for me to set up a myth box 10+ years ago - I wanted one
device, one remote, that did everything.
For a while myth's playback was getting skippy and choppy, on new i3
hardware. I couldn't abide by that,  so ran both kodi and mythfrontend
for a while and switched between them, but as soon as I made a theme
that more closely matched the myth ui layout my significant other was
used to, I switched to kodi permanently.
Sure the guide is still a bit more clunky, but I use mythweb to get
around that. And we watch more content from streaming services these
days anyway (abc iview, sbs, netflix, hulu, ted) and I could never get
these working on myth - but the kodi plugins work (even if i've had to
fix a few of them).

And very importantly (for me), the plugins are written in python. You
don't need the kodi source the compile against, anyone can just hack up
a bit of python and run it directly in kodi. This makes it infinitely
easier to get less experienced developers involved, and much quicker for
experienced people to make complex plugins. I can make changes to a
plugin with my laptop over a shared drive to my lounge pc, running live
on the tv, and see the changes instantly. There's no
compile,deploy,restart, it's all instant update.