[mythtv-users] Cheap frontend for HD

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Wed May 20 17:39:24 UTC 2015

On 20/05/15 16:01, Tom Bishop wrote:

>     Interesting, does the RP2 deal with MPEG-2 OK (I have Freeview DVB
>     files), and does it have support for 4K?
>
>     I'm particularly interested in why it's easier to manage the KODI
>     menus, network connections etc in Linux than in Android, as I plan
>     to implement KODI on my REVOs which are Linux based. I was under
>     the impression that the menus and network stuff in KODI was all
>     done within either the config file or in KODI itself, at least
>     that's how I've done it.
>
>     As a Unix admin of over 30 years, I didn't find it any easier to
>     setup in Linux than in Android, and the web browsing in Android is
>     many times faster than under Linux on my REVOs. The other
>     advantage I've found with Android devices is that you can easily
>     get apps for things like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD,
>     etc etc which simply aren't available on Linux unfortunately.
>
>     Cheers
>     Gordon
>

> Another Kodi/myth user but I have several things that I use for
> frontends from thin client based setups to self built.  The only thing
> I have been struggling with is de-interlacing some of the OTA content,
> Kodi doesn't appear to give you all of the options vs myth and I still
> have't found one that I am happy with on my non-accelerated machine.
>
> Does the pi handle de-interlacing content?

Yes Rpi does handle de-interlacing.

I am currently using Milhouse OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi2 (Kodi
15.0) with mythbackend 0.28.pre for DVB-S/S2 and DVB-T/T2 in UK.

There is also a lot  of activity going on to include full video
acceleration OpenGL for Rpi2 in linux kernel see:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Raspberry-Pi-VC4-Linux-4.0

Mike