[mythtv-users] What's the deal with Kodi?

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed May 20 17:37:05 UTC 2015

On 20 May 2015, at 16:15, Damian <myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm really surprised to hear so many of you moving over to Kodi as a front end. Am I right in thinking that Kodi is based on (or 'is') XBMC? I have tried XMBC roughly once every year or two since it came out as I feel I must be 'missing something'. Every time I try it, I uninstall it after a couple of days. I find it repeatedly horrible to set up, sluggish and ugly (compared to the best Myth themes) and I just don't see any benefits. I think MythTV with one of the nice themes (like the most recent Steppes), is SO much better.
>
> What am I missing? What is it about XBMC/Kodi that people like and even prefer?

I used it for about 3 months, it was better for Movie playback than Myth Frontend, more consistent lip sync between different audio codecs. I greatly prefer the Movie indexing and guide with Kodi against Myth Frontend.

I switched back (to minimyth2 actually) recently as finding Myth recordings through the plugin interface was slow and never very clear which episode was what. I found that the video playback quality of recordings wasn’t as good as Myth Frontend and skipping is clunky compared to MythTV.

What really switched me back was buying a dedicated media player for movies, it’s UI is a bit pants but playback is faultless, properly perfect 23.976fps and no audio codec issues.

So now I have a Mede8er 800X3D for movie rips (it plays 3D bluray rips too) and minimyth2 for TV recordings.

In the office I still use Kodi because it plays back h265 UHD stuff I need for work, useful to have the same application in Windows, OSX and Linux, triple boot hackintosh.

> I'm not trying to be on a high horse, I'm genuinely interested.
>
> Maybe XBMC/Kodi doesn't work very well with Ubuntu/MythBuntu setups for some reason?

I found openelec to be less hassle setting up than MythBuntu with Kodi ppa, the hdmi audio and video driver stuff, you don’t have to do anything warpme did it all for you already.

Andre