[mythtv-users] What's the deal with Kodi?

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Wed May 20 15:15:40 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'm really surprised to hear so many of you moving over to Kodi as a
front end. Am I right in thinking that Kodi is based on (or 'is') XBMC?
I have tried XMBC roughly once every year or two since it came out as I
feel I must be 'missing something'. Every time I try it, I uninstall it
after a couple of days. I find it repeatedly horrible to set up,
sluggish and ugly (compared to the best Myth themes) and I just don't
see any benefits. I think MythTV with one of the nice themes (like the
most recent Steppes), is SO much better.

What am I missing? What is it about XBMC/Kodi that people like and even
prefer?

I'm not trying to be on a high horse, I'm genuinely interested.

Maybe XBMC/Kodi doesn't work very well with Ubuntu/MythBuntu setups for
some reason?

Looking forward to reading your thoughts,
Damian