[mythtv-users] USB-Live2 won't work in myth, options for STB capture?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue May 19 10:48:30 UTC 2015

On 19/05/15 07:47, Robin Gilks wrote:
> Been trying for days to get a USB-Live2 to work with myth but although I
> can get video from it with vlc and mplayer, not heard any sound yet
> (although pulseaudio creates a new input.
>
> Nothing happening in myth although mythtv-setup probes it OK it doesn't
> seem to know what sort of card it is (PVR150/mjpeg capture etc) and no
> sign of anything sensible in the audio selection.
>
> Looks like my $60 is a write-off so I've got to find another way of
> getting connectivity from my satellite STB since my old HVR2200 has just
> about died.
>
> Any suggestions?

If you can use it with VLC then you should be able to capture a chunk of input
with the old "cat /dev/device > <filename>" command. Once you have done that you
can inspect it with the usual tools and find out what format it outputs. More
importantly that should tell you how the audio is encoded.

I would make a guess at mpeg-ts but the audio could still be various formats.
Have a look at the driver module for options which might let you control it.

--

Mike Perkins