[mythtv-users] Desk Top Power

Saul jaglover at gmail.com
Fri May 15 23:06:08 UTC 2015

On Sat, 16 May 2015 08:55:45 +1000
Michael Watson <michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:

> On 16/05/2015 8:19 AM, Saul wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 May 2015 08:06:18 +1000
> > Michael Watson <michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:

> >> Why build it, when you can find them at around the same cost of a
> >> suitably rated relay.
> >> When you cant buy a device to do what you want (at reasonable
> >> prices), then you look at building your own....
> > Alright, relay based solution was just an example from dark ages.
> > Nowadays I'd use a thyristor to do the same - the cost is around $2
> > (not a Radio Shack price).
> >
> I dont disagree with your logic, but a thyristor is not the only
> component needed.  You will need a plug, a couple of sockets, a
> suitable housing, and of course knowledge and time.  Or you can buy a
> suitable product for under $20.
>
> I would not advocate anybody play around with mains voltage (lethal)
> without the suitable knowledge in what they are doing.
>
> I have built many circuits (and enjoy designing/building) to do what
> I want, when a suitable product cannot be found at a reasonable
> price. ie: Temp controller for my home brew, "12V UPS" for
> RaspberryPI/Android Tablet based media system in the family wagon. If
> you would rather build your own master/slave mains switch than
> purchase an off the shelf product, then that is fine - if you have
> the suitable knowledge working with mains voltages/currents.
>
> Given that the op has asked the question in the first place, to me
> indicates their knowledge of electrical engineering is limited, hence
> the links to suitable off the shelf products.

OK, I have to agree with you.

I still have another solution to offer. What OP wants to do could be
easily integrated into Home Automation System (presuming it exists). I
personally use Z-Wave to control stuff in my household. It's fun, it is
effective, it is flexible ... err, not very cheap perhaps ...

--
Cheers, Saul