[mythtv-users] Desk Top Power

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri May 15 14:19:39 UTC 2015

On 15/05/15 07:54, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Michael Watson <michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:
>
>> There are many of the shelf products that can achieve this, often called a "smart switch/powerboard" or "energy saving switch/powerboard" that turn one or more plugs off/on depending on the load used by the master plug.
>
> Or you can make one with a suitably rated relay. Power the relay coil off the 5V or 12V line and switch a mains feed with it.
>
> Of course, in the "good old days" a PC power supply had a switched receptacle which was good for this. If you are adventurous, it should be possible to open up the PSU case and connect to the mains downstream of a mains relay (if it has one) - but this isn't something to be done lightly since there are lethal voltages present even when the PC is "switched off".

I think you're missing the point slightly. If he has a spare +5v or +12v supply
available from his PC, you're suggesting using it to switch a relay turning on
or off an auxiliary mains supply which would feed a power supply to another
device... at +5v or +12v.

So why not just cut out the middle man?

--

Mike Perkins