[mythtv-users] Wrong Channel when recording?

Roger Martensson roger.martensson at gmail.com
Thu May 14 15:27:17 UTC 2015

Den 14 maj 2015 17:02 skrev "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>:

> On 05/13/2015 12:02 PM, Roger Martensson wrote:
>>

>> Hello!
>>
>> I'm trying to find out if I'm seeing a bug or not. Maybe someone of you
could help me. I think I am doing all the right things.

>> This is what happens. This is on a DVB-C setup.
>> I have two channels that contain the same content and are on the same
input. (Same cardid)
>> These two channels are the same except one of them is in HD.
>> So I combined them into one channel. The HD-channel has priority of 0
and the SD-channel has -1.

>> When looking in mythweb is looks like it is selecting the HD-channel.
>> When looking in the mythbackend log it says it selects the HD-channel.
It selects the right cardid and right chanid.

>> But the result is that it don't record from the HD-channel.

[cut]

> XMLTV ID is used only for linking your listings data from your listings
provider with channels in your MythTV database.  Changing it has no impact
whatsoever on scheduling (other than the impact from putting different
listings data in the database).  You don't need to mess with this.  You
don't need to have "different XMLTV IDs".  That said, the "HDTV only"
filter and the "HDTV Priority" are based on the HDTV flag specified by your
guide data, so if you want to use that filter or priority, you'd have to
have different guide data where the data for the HDTV channel flags content
as being HDTV.  However, the HDTV filter and the HDTV priority are not what
you want.

Today I have guide data where the HD data has the quality element sets HDTV
and the SD guide data does not. Ie. To get the HD flag set on the programs
on the HD channel.

> Call sign is used to specify that 2 channels are completely identical for
all scheduling purposes--and you have no preference whatsoever which
channel is used to record a show.  By putting the same call sign on the 2
channels, you're saying, "MythTV, I really do not care at all which one of
these channels you use to record the show because they are completely
identical."  Therefore, MythTV schedules the recording and one of the
channels is used.

OK.  To me these are identical channels with the exception that one channel
is HD and the other SD.
So my misunderstanding is that I thought it was identical. Only that it was
identical when looking at the programs. If looking at quality as a factor
it doesn't become identical. Just two channels that happens to have the
same programs.

> Setting a channel to have the same channel number and the same call sign
tells MythTV to collapse that channel into one single entry in the guide.
This is the case because when given the same channel number and call sign,
there is truly no distinction--you can't tune a specific one in Live TV
because they both have the same channel number and you can't say to record
off a specific one because they have the same call sign.  Therefore, there
is no reason to show that 2 channels exist.

> If you want to be able to control which channel is used to record shows,
have separate call signs.  If you want to be able to control which channel
you're watching live, have separate channel numbers.

> If, however, you want to be able to record shows and most of the time
record off the HDTV one, but you will accept a recording off the SDTV one
when "necessary", use a current version of MythTV (0.27-fixes) and specify
channel priorities (with either a negative channel priority on the SDTV
channel or a positive channel priority on the HDTV channel).  Note that
channel priority is not tuner priority, nor scheduler order, nor Live TV
order.  It's channel priority.

This is what I have done except that I have "collapsed" the channels. So
with my new understanding learnt above I should "uncollapse" my SD/HD
combination.

> The best solution, though, is to have enough tuners to record what you
want.  If you're getting SDTV recordings because you don't have enough
tuners to record everything you want so you're using multirec to fake
having additional recording capability, you need more tuners that can
record from the HDTV channels.  So, while you can continue to work around
having insufficient tuning capability for your recording desires, you'll
also need to be prepared to live with the occasional SDTV show (after all,
that's the choice you've made--get some shows in SDTV so I can multirec to
record more shows and save money on buying another tuner).  That said, if
you configure properly, it will do as well as it can to do what you want,
but you'll have to live with the bad recordings when it can't.

This is something I look at except that it is hard to find tuners with CI
support in Linux. Hopefully I will find another one of the one I bought a
couple of years ago.

Thanks for your explanation.