[mythtv-users] Installation report: ECS Liva doesn't boot after Debian Installation. What am I missing?

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Wed May 13 23:40:41 UTC 2015

Hoi Damian,

> On 13/05/2015 19:59, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Hoi Damian,

>>> The UEFI thing caught me out initially too, but I worked it out in the end.
>>
>>> My Liva is running MythBuntu great!
>>
>>> One niggle I have got is that it seems to struggle if my projector is
>>> off when the Liva is turned on. When I do then turn the projector on, it
>>> can't find a signal. I think it's also lost the signal once or twice
>>> when the system has been left on and inactive for a while. Not much of a
>>> problem, but if anyone has found a fix for that I'd love to hear it!
>>
>>> Damian
>>
>> How about explicitly enabling the videoport on moduleload, add to the
>> loadstring: `video=hdmi:e`
>> You need to have KMS enabled. so add `modeset=1` to your kernel
>> loadstring.
>> hdmi is a guess at the portname. It can be hdmi-0 or hdmi-1. You
>> should find it in your boot log.

> Thanks Hika,

> I have no idea what or where 'loadstring' is, but I will look it up! :-)

> Thanks again,
> Damian

The kernel loadstring is in your bootloader, bootstrings for modules
are probably in /etc/modprobe.d/ but it can vary by distribution. Look
in there for a file nvidia.conf or intel.conf or whatever graphic
driver you're using. It's a string of parameters to give to your
kernel or kernelmodule when loading. modeset enables KMS (Kernel Mode
Setting) enabling at runtime control by the kernel over your graphics
settings. `video=hdmi:e` enables the given port while `video=hdmi:d`
disables it. Not depending on a probe whether there is something at
the other end. Very handy for dumb screens like old TV's or when it's
not always on.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven