[mythtv-users] 0 byte recordings with HD-PVR and Myth 0.28 on Ubuntu 14.04.2

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed May 13 19:01:25 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 6:06 PM, Fred Hamilton <fred at yonkitime.com> wrote:
> I don't *think* it's the OS because "cat /dev/video0 > temp.ts" works, and I
> have the same problem on Ubuntu 14.04.2 and a newly-installed 15.04 with
> different kernels (3.16 and 3.19).  So maybe it was a Myth 0.28 update?

On the other hand, you state that cat does not work
after the device is wedged.  That indicates the device,
and not MythTV.  MythTV may trigger the event, but
a device which does not recover is a broken device
(or driver).  Perhaps you need to turn on debugging
of the driver.  Add hdpvr_debug=# to the module line
(where # is 1 to 7, with increasing levels of verbosity).
Debugging drivers is not for the faint of heart (or head),
but it has positive returns on the investment when
you achieve the "ah ha!" moment.  I also would up
the USB debugging levels, just because I am always
suspicious of them given all the recent churn that
has been happening in the kernel to get them to
work "better".