[mythtv-users] 0 byte recordings with HD-PVR and Myth 0.28 on Ubuntu 14.04.2

Fred Hamilton fred at yonkitime.com
Wed May 13 18:06:23 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 7:52 AM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 12:30 AM, Fred Hamilton <fred at yonkitime.com>
> wrote:
> > However "cat /dev/video0 > temp.ts" always works (if it's run before
> > MythBackend tries to record something.  After Mythbackend tries and
> fails,
> > "cat /dev/video0 > temp.ts" starts producing zero byte recordings as
> well.
> > So it seems like the hardware and driver are OK until mythbackend tries
> > use it.
>
> This suggests a more basic OS issue.  Did you happen
> to upgrade the OS/kernel recently (or add another USB
> device to the mix)?  There have been some recent fixes
> in the kernel for various USB issues, and it is possible
> that you are hitting a regression.

That's sort-of what I'm thinking - something that was intermittent (perhaps
unrelated) turned permanent after an update.  Unfortunately I haven't been
logging system/Myth updates vs HD-PVR functionality.

I don't *think* it's the OS because "cat /dev/video0 > temp.ts" works, and
I have the same problem on Ubuntu 14.04.2 and a newly-installed 15.04 with
different kernels (3.16 and 3.19).  So maybe it was a Myth 0.28 update?