[mythtv-users] Higher-quality archive to DVD (interlacing)

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue May 12 20:03:28 UTC 2015

On 12/05/15 11:52, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 5/12/15 5:02 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> made without re-encoding
>

> This being the relevant phrase.  The scenario I'm talking about is where
> the video is re-encoded with ffmpeg.
>

> -WD

Yes:  I've just looked at two UK DVB-T2 HD .h264 recordings converted
(in February) to SD mpeg2 using  'mythffmpeg -target pal-dvd', as in
mytharchive.

mediainfo shows that the original input HD is
'25.00 fps 1920:1080 Component:Progressive'

and the output SD is
'25.00 fps 720:576 PAL:Progressive'

so mythffmpeg has not done any deinterlacing in this case.

I've also found one HD recording with 'Component:MBAFF' - known to wiki
but not previously to me.

I don't remember noticing any deinterlacing artefacts on the few DVDs
I've burned from HD recordings - but apparently my DVD player upscales
to 1080p anyway...

John