[mythtv-users] How to Prevent Freeze When Starting Playback

Tom Wheeler tomwheel at gmail.com
Tue May 12 20:02:12 UTC 2015

This problem still occurs for me. I tried the MySQL tuning advice from the
Tune_MySQL page on the Wiki, but this had no effect on the delay. The disk
drives are fine, and power saving is disabled.

To summarize, the issue is that when I hit play on the "Watch Recordings"
screen, there is almost always significant delay (of varying duration)
before the program is actually shown. This happens on both the combined
backend/frontend and the remote frontend that's connected to it via gigabit
ethernet. Both systems are running Mythbuntu and MythTV 0.27. The delay
only affects the start of program play, during which the screen appears
frozen on the "Watch Recordings" screen (there's no "Please Wait" message,
hourglass cursor, or other visual cue). Once the program begins playing,
performance is fine.

The problem has gotten worse over the last six months. It happens much more
frequently and with much longer delays (now averaging about 20 seconds and
taking even three minutes in some rare cases). It occurs with recordings of
any resolution, ranging from 1080p HD programs all the way down to old
1960s-era black-and-white SD recordings. The delays seem to be a little
longer for higher resolution programs, but that may be perception or
coincidence.

Here's the log from a session last night:

   http://pastebin.com/ft9Mkn5F

Here's the log from another session, after I started the frontend using the
"-v playback" flag:

   http://pastebin.com/D3eVX0HA

Any ideas as to what I could try in order to diagnose or fix it?

Thanks,

Tom