[mythtv-users] MythWeb: ASX stream or direct download (over ADSL)?

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Tue May 12 19:20:04 UTC 2015

On Mon, 11 May 2015, James Miller wrote:

> I'm gathering from what I read at the forum postings found at
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1996749.html and
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1486097.html that additional
> credential entry, once the asx link has been clicked on in the MythWeb
> interface, is handled by the player that's been configured to deal with the
> stream. I infer from those posts that vlc handles the additional credential
> entry just fine. I have not tried vlc and cannot confirm that this
> interpretation is correct, since vlc is not installed on my portable (laptop)
> test-rig. I have, however, tried playing the asx stream with gmplayer and
> smplayer, which, according to my tests, seem not to handle the additional
> credential entry. Anyone else have input on this issue?

I broke down and installed vlc so as to test this issue further. Sure
enough, when I tell the browser to handle the stream using vlc, that
player, once it starts, pops up an additional log-in window. Once I
re-enter my credentials there, the asx stream begins playing. So it seems
as though, if authentication for MythWeb/Apache is enabled, a media player
that can handle an additional entry of log-in credentials is what will be
needed for this to work. Neither smplayer or gnome-mplayer (which I
erroneously referred to above as gmplayer) appear to be able to handle the
additional entry of log-in credentials. I should mention in that respect
that, even using the modified URL to which Dennis referred, that has user
name and password incorporated, smplayer and gnome-mplayer would not play
the asx stream for me. Only vlc, among the players I tested, appears to
handle the authentication correctly.

I did manage to test this from a remote location where the connection was
via cable modem. The asx stream played fine using that connection, with no
notable lagging, jittering, or pausing. So perhaps this can work to my
satisfaction, without the need for transcoding of the original file or
reliance on the direct download link.