[mythtv-users] Higher-quality archive to DVD (interlacing)

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue May 12 09:02:13 UTC 2015

On 12/05/15 01:13, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 5/11/15 6:03 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> It seems to me that DVDs still provide an inexpensive way of carrying
>> small collections of recordings that can be played on generic hardware.
>> But I suspect that many players now come with 'enhancements' in various
>> flavours that might not all be compatible with specific forms of
>> 'enhanced' DVD; YMMV?
>

> I'm not talking about any sort of "enhanced" DVD.  I'm talking about
> what somebody can get out of a standard NTSC DVD.  I think I may have
> mis-typed in my original email.   An NTSC DVD gives you 59.94 fields per
> second.   1080i TV is 59.94 fields per second.    (I think I had
> mistakenly used the word "frame" instead of "field")
>
> With mytharchive, you get 29.97 progressive frames per second.  With a
> DVD that you may purchase at the store or with software like avstodvd,
> you get the full 59.94 interlaced fields per second.
>
> My point was that mytharchive didn't necessarily have to degrade the
> motion quality in this way.
>

> -WD

I've just run mediainfo on original UK SD DVB-T recordings (.ts),
recordings processed by mythDVDcut (.mpg) and mytharchive output (.VOB)
made without re-encoding.  All give:

Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps
Standard                                 : PAL
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Top Field First

... but of course other environments will differ.

John