[mythtv-users] H264 conversion of interlaced MPEG2?

Michael Stucky mike at stucky.us
Tue May 12 01:49:18 UTC 2015

On May 11, 2015 4:17 PM, "Jay Foster" <jayf0ster at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> On 5/11/2015 12:46 PM, Michael Stucky wrote:

<deletia>
>> Sorry for the delay, it was a busy weekend+... I am not an ffmpeg expert
so all the syntax came either from the original shell script or searches
for a better way to deinterlace. But I have done some additional searching
and testing have updated my script on the wiki accordingly.

>> "yadif=1" has become "yadif=0:-1:1" (mode 0 = one frame out for one
frame in, parity -1 = autodetect, and deint 1 = only deinterlace frames
marked as interlaced). "sws_flags spline" is removed (only applies when
scaling content?). "-r 60000/1001" is removed (this actually caused every
frame to be duplicated for interlaced content). "threads 0" is removed (the
h264 encoder uses all available threads by default). "-c:a copy" replaced
with "-strict -2" to use the internal AAC encoder.

>> This works and produces good quality output for all my content, 1080i,
720p, and 480i all OTA to HDHomerun tuners.

>> Mike
>>

> I took a look at the script on the wiki and had a question.  Does this
break commercial skipping?  The script does not appear to reschedule a
commflag job after the transcoding.
> Jay

The script was designed to prepare a recording for export to the Video
Library where it can be played by different players/devices (vlc, mplayer,
android, ios, etc.). As such commercial skipping wasn't a consideration.
The script will remove a cutlist if it exists (so
leaders/trailers/commercials should all be automatically removed before the
transcoding takes place).

If it is helpful, please take the script and modify it to do what you want
it to and create a new wiki page for your script so we all can benefit from
it!

Mike