[mythtv-users] MythWeb: ASX stream or direct download (over ADSL)?

dennis deg at outlook.com
Mon May 11 15:54:23 UTC 2015

> Hi, I have pretty good luck using asx streaming from mythweb to my
> phone over 3g/4g (vlc app).     I do encode every new recording as
> h264 using ffmpeg on a nightly basis via cron.   Typically, I resize
> all HD video to 1280x720 @ 29.97p frame rate using ffmpeg.   The
> command I use is dynamically generated based on quite a few different
> factors,  but in general looks like this for most of the HD broadcast
> in my area:
>
>     ffmpeg -i '1071_20150507020000.ts'  -r 29.97 -acodec ac3 -ar 48000
> -ab 160k -s 1280x720 -f mp4 -vcodec libx264 -crf 24 -threads 8
> -movflags faststart -x264opts scenecut=50 -g 100 -preset slow
> "/data/mythtv/recordings/1071_20150507020000.mp4
>
> This typically gives me file sizes of 600-700MB for an hour of tv with
> good quality, and a bit rate that also streams nicely over 3g/4g.
> When played on the frontend with a 65" TV,  I can notice a "slight"
> decrease in quality over the original.   No one in my family even
> notices it is compressed.
>
> I am not using any authentication in Apache.

I have turned on password protection for mythweb in Apache and having an
issue when I try to stream the asx files.

I thought the player would prompt for credentials needed to access the
ASX file from the server, but that doesn't happen. However, if I do
modify the ASX file manually by adding the login/password to the URL, it
streams just fine.

Doesn't work:
<REF HREF =
"http://10.0.0.101:444/secure/mythweb/pl/stream/1071/1430964000" />

Works:
<REF HREF =
"http://guest:guest@10.0.0.101:444/secure/mythweb/pl/stream/1071/1430964000"
/>

Any ideas on how to make this work without needing to modify the ASX
file manually?

Thanks,
Dennis