[mythtv-users] mysql filling up hard drive

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sat May 9 00:33:57 UTC 2015

On 05/08/2015 06:12 PM, Scott Moncrieff wrote:
> This was probably a bit rash but a bottle of wine will do that...before I
> read the 2 previous replies I just went into the  database and deleted
> everything in the 'record' table with the title 'Breakfast'
>
> Not being completely mad, I did switch to my alternate backup system drive
> first. All of the 23486 recording rules for 'Breakfast' were deleted and
> the hard drive has not moved from 11% full for the last 30 minutes.
>
> I just rebooted from the other (bad) drive and ran the curl command which
> produced a seemingly endless output of the description of the offending
> Breakfast show but I could not copy and of the output before the system
> stopped responding. Now back on the other hard drive it all seems stable.
>
> Is there any way I can investigate what actually caused this and how I can
> stop it in the future? Assuming the system is actually stable, probably a
> bit early to be relaxing.

If you still have the bad data on your other drive, then I'd
come up on it and stop the backend (to give yourself time to
look around.)

If the bad data is gone, not much to do.

I'd try to audit the record table with things like this:

  SELECT title,type,category FROM record ORDER BY category;

looking for a category like: Custom recording. Because that's
the only case I know that has the ability to create rules like
wildfire. Just guessing that no human would create 23K rules.

Use: DESC recorded; to see the list of available fields and
your best guess at what else might be odd. You can then adjust
the SELECT above to view other fields and look for odd values
as compared with other rules.

Happy sleuthing.

--
Bill