[mythtv-users] better scheduling options through MythWeb?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 8 02:54:02 UTC 2015

On 05/07/2015 10:39 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> Being able to automatically cut out ads is also a wonderful dream, but
> it remains just that as the variety of ways ads are done prevents
> anything like 100% detection of them.  Even a 1% error rate will cause
> bad WAF if bits of a favourite program go missing.  Here in New
> Zealand, the available detection algorithms in MythTV are pretty
> useless, and you are lucky to 50% detection.

However, on the bright side, 3TB HDDs for $85 ($28.33/TB--and there are
probably better deals than that, but that's just one I'm seeing now) and
MythTV's ability to skip over commercials using information from
commercial detection make the idea of cutting commercials out
unnecessary for TV shows you record.  Especially when you live in an
area (such as the US) where time shifting is allowed under fair use, but
"librarying" or "archiving" (keeping copies indefinitely to watch or
potentially watch multiple times) is not--which means you'll be watching
and deleting the show, anyway--cutting commercials is just a waste.
Besides, if I like the show enough that I want a copy to keep, I want
one that doesn't have logos/bugs/weather and news alerts/... that appear
all too often on broadcast shows, so I buy it on DVD or BluRay.

And, yes, I do realize that other areas of the world will have different
pricing on hard drives, but as dirt cheap as they are in the US, I can't
imagine storage being actually expensive elsewhere.

Mike