[mythtv-users] H264 conversion of interlaced MPEG2?

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Thu May 7 04:23:29 UTC 2015

By the way, does anyone know what the current state of MBAFF
(interlaced) support is in VDPAU?  I don't have a VDPAU setup yet, so
I can't check directly.  I see a few sporadic reports of issues from a
few years ago, and at least one patch for playback corruption from
Nvidia back around 2009, but I don't know if it really works or just
isn't very popular.  Has anyone done this and observed it to work
okay?  The idea here of course is to use advanced VDPAU deinterlacing
filter on playback of MBAFF-encoded H264 files, which I am planning to
transcode in advance of actually having that setup.  Thanks!

(Whether that eventual playback would be over an interlaced path to
a CRT, or a progressive path to something else, will probably change
over time and is not yet determined.  But given some artifacts I've
seen from yadif, etc, I'm nervous about irreversibly deinterlacing
during transcoding if I can possibly defer the decision to later,
given that the hardware and/or software will continue to improve.
And since this is SD at the moment, I doubt the computational load
will be significant no matter what deinterlacer I run on playback.)