[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup --- Does a CLI Exist?

jim jim_32766 at hotmail.com
Thu May 7 01:13:27 UTC 2015

On 05/06/2015 06:12 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 06/05/15 19:33, jim wrote:

>>> (Please don't top post)
>>>
>>> If I attempted to run a channel scan on a system which already had
>>> channels
>>> configured, I'd end up with an unholy mess which would require manual
>>> intervention - and I don't mean mere editing.
>>>
>>> If you are happy with a mess of channels with random numbers, all
>>> interspersed
>>> with your existing config, then go ahead.
>>>
>>> Doing a clean channel scan from my location is not possible, because of
>>> interference from other transmitters. YMMV.
>>>
>>> Like I said, manual input required.
>>>
>> My bad on the top post. Was moving too fast.
>>
>> Yes, there are times when the full GUI is needed - just like there
>> are times
>> when it is not needed. Having the option would be nice. On an
>> original install,
>> or if I move a system from one location to another, and don't care
>> about the
>> previous channels, it would be nice to clear any existing data and
>> run channel
>> scan, adding the channels - from the CLI.
>>
>> I have a HDHomerun tuner.  It supports channel scanning and will
>> write to a
>> file. I guess one could parse the file and write to the mythconverg
>> tables - but
>> isn't that reinventing the wheel as Mythtv already has that capability?
>>
> Of course you then have to associate all those new channels with
> xmltvids...

Good point. It would be better if there were a functional CLI so the
existing mythtv-setup capability could be used. Not finding one, I just
wrote some code to run the HDHomerun scan and parse the results for
mythconverg table entry. Associating xmltvids next. I am only using OTA
so it shouldn't be too difficult.