[mythtv-users] Subtitle settings?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue May 5 21:28:07 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 11:45 AM, Stefan D <raptorjr08 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Don't know how i could miss that about teletext :P I really was(am) stupid
> =)
>
> Has anything changes recently? Because the subtitles is much bigger than
> they were before, maybe 6 months ago. I know that they have been smaller.

Very little has changed in a long time with that form of teletext, apart
from specifying the font name in the .xml file rather than a mythfrontend
settings page.

One of the teletext commands is to display double-size characters.  I think
most providers specify double-size (but being in the U.S., I don't know for
sure).

> But sure, if it is not supported i just have to wait until support is
> added, if ever. But the biggest problem is the lack of the Swedish
> characters. I've been trying different fonts, and different encodings. And
> i did have the Swedish characters before my "accidental" upgrade of Ubuntu
> and MythTV.
>
> Is there anything I can do, debug wise, to find out f.ex. what encoding i
> should use? Now i have ISO-8559-1 (also tried ISO-8559-4) but still no
> Swedish characters. And what i have found on the web, that should contain
> Swedish characters?

The encoding setting is only for subtitles loaded from external text files,
usually .srt or .sub files.

Are you sure you're installing your font files correctly and in the right
place?  Look in your log output for lines like this:
  "Failed to load '%1', got '%2' instead"
And if you run with "-v gui:debug", that log message will be followed by a
list of available fonts known to MythTV.

Also keep in mind that if characters are missing from the current font, Qt
will silently substitute "equivalent" characters from a font it thinks is
similar.

If you still can't get the fonts working, you may want to upload a small
sample recording somewhere that demonstrates the problem.

Jim

> On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 6:03 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Stefan D <raptorjr08 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you for your help, but I am feeling really stupid. I can't get
>>> anything to work.
>>>
>>> Since i don't know what font to use that have the Swedish characters I
>>> thought I should first get my semi transparent background.
>>>
>>> Found an exampel from another theme that first did this:
>>> <shape name="grey_background" from="provider">
>>>           <type>box</type>
>>>           <fill color="#000000" alpha="128" />
>>> </shape>
>>>
>>> Using mythfrontend -v vbi:debug I found out this:
>>> The file used is  Location:
>>> /home/stefan/.mythtv/themes/Mythbuntu/osd_subtitle.xml
>>> And the subtitle type used is:
>>> GetFont(family=teletext, prefix=teletext, orig pixelSize=20, new
>>> pixelSize=20 zoom=100) = face=Liberation Sans pixelsize=20 color=#ffffff
>>> italics=0 weight=50 underline=0 shadow=0 shadowoffset=(0,0)
>>> shadowcolor=#000000 shadowalpha=255 outline=0 outlinecolor=#000000