[mythtv-users] Helping a bad signal

Michael Wisniewski mikewiz38 at gmail.com
Tue May 5 12:38:23 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/3/15 9:19 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> > 'n's are from your internal network (or your system).
>
> I had very similar problems with my system.   After a good deal of
> troubleshooting, I had determined that my nvidia ION system just won't
> do gigabit Ethernet without error.   And since the HDHR video is UDP,
> that results in a glitch in the video, as opposed to re-sending the packet.
>
> Although it seems unfortunate to have to do so, I just ended up
> switching the NIC to run at 100mbit.   It's error free, and can handle
> multiple HD streams without a hiccup.

Thanks all for the responses.  I've been having issues with Comcast for
quite some time now and was quick to blame them, even though it was
actually my fault this time.  I ended up moving the HDHR boxes to another
vlan, and that was the cause of the network errors.  I don't know why the
gateway box wouldn't be able to pass the UDP ok as I'm all gigabit, but it
may had just been too much for it.  When I moved the HDHR's back to the
same subnet as mythbackend, the network errors pretty much stopped.  I get
one 'n' every now and then, but I would say it's 99% better.

It's also good to know about the ION system.  I am running an ION2 box at
home and it was the one that was having the issues.  The other one is a
firetv box, but I guess I just expect that to have a not-so-great
experience since it hiccups decoding mpeg2.