[mythtv-users] New Comcast DTA, grrrrrrrr.

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri May 1 01:20:03 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 12:49 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 5:59 PM, Tom Hayward <esarfl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 1:54 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> it hasn't been painful enough to justify buying a $280 "fix".
>>
>> I apologize for trying to solve a different problem than the one you
>> asked about, but I still think you'd be better served by a CableCard
>> tuner.
>
> Yeah, I agree.  While the 6-tuner Inifini TV 6 is $280, the
> three-tuner HDHR prime is regularly on sale for $89.  If you're paying
> $16/mo for your DTAs, you can justify that easily on financial grounds
> alone, not even counting the improved quality, better reliability, and
> general simplification of your setup.

Since we are going off on a tangent, I believe that the HDHR3-CC
was not complete supported until (around) 0.24 (and the Ceton
not until 0.25, I believe)(*).  So, while all good ideas, and I nominally
recommend OCUR tuners on Comcast, they are not helpful to
the OP on 0.23 (although I agree that an upgrade is long overdue,
and the ROI is positive for both 0.27 and OCUR tuners in most
Comcast franchises).

To the OP, when you do upgrade, there are some complexities
due to being on 0.23 (multiple DB upgrade steps).  I would ask
for advice from others that have made the jump to avoid certain
opportunities, but that is for another day.

(*) My memory of those releases is a bit hazy.  Yes, I ran them,
but long enough ago it has been pushed out of the main memory
storage into the swap and dump space out in the back of the barn.