[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu question

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 18:56:40 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 6:46 PM, Nicolas Krzywinski <myth at site7even.de> wrote:

> My non-Mythbuntu (but Ubuntu) system is running on this configuration as
> well:
>         nsk at sesta09:~$ uname -a
>         Linux sesta09 3.13.0-48-generic #80-Ubuntu SMP Thu Mar 12
>         11:16:15 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>         nsk at sesta09:~$ lsb_release -a
>         No LSB modules are available.
>         Distributor ID: Ubuntu
>         Release:        14.04
>         Codename:       trusty
>         nsk at sesta09:~$
>
> The 3.16 kernel is available via synaptic as well, but not installed
> automatically on my system (installed updates yesterday and re-checked
> this just now).
>
> Not being the perfect Ubuntu software repository professional, I assume
> this is because of the (meta?)package "linux-image-generic" that still
> points on 3.13.0.48.55
> There are other (meta?)packages, named
> "linux-image-lowlatency-lts-utopic" and
> "linux-image-generic-lts-utopic" (amongst others) that point to
> 3.16.0.33.26
>
> So I may easiestly be possible to try out a newer kernel and switch back
> to the older one, if there are problems.

As a rule, Ubuntu will never delete an old kernel version, they're
always left behind in case the new one has problems.

As you say, linux-image-generic is the package for the 14.04.0 and .1 kernels.

I haven't used Synaptic for years, and it's a while since I upgraded a
kernel this way, however via the command line you should be able to
type:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-utopic

(I assume you want the generic packages, and not the lowlatency).

The --install-recommends will ensure that it picks up the appropriate
headers packages.

If you want to be cautious, enable the grub menu before upgrading so
that you can easily select the old kernel while booting.  Edit
/etc/default/grub and ensure that the following two lines are
commented out (if they exist):

#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true

and

GRUB_TIMEOUT=10

then run

sudo update-grub

That will give you 10 seconds to decide.

HTH,
Alistair