[mythtv-users] Multiple antennas, 2nd tuner

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Mar 31 17:19:24 UTC 2015

On 30/03/15 07:27 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 7:19 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
> <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com <mailto:gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 11:01 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com
>     <mailto:dheianevans at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > We'll soon be welcoming a 2nd HDHomerun to our MythTV family. Haven't
>     > painted the nursery yet.
>
>     One of the original versions of the HDHR (a single tuner
>     version, as I recall) came in blue.  I am not sure if that
>     was because of its Y chromosome if simply because it
>     was "cool".  AFAIK there was never a pink variant (I mean
>     other than those that had a spray paint can of rust-oleum,
>     and knew how to use it).
>

> And we haven't even thought of names yet!
>
> Wrapping my head around this. I'll add the new HDHR in Capture Cards,
> but still trying to see how I use my current SD lineup while removing a
> couple of channels from each particular antenna. I'll keep reading.

Remember that a lineup is based on the assumption the every tuner tied
to that lineup can receive every channel in the lineup.

Unless you are in Fort Erie or Welland, I cannot see how you can have on
antenna do both Buffalo and Rochester. Unless you are in Oak Orchard or
somewhere between the two!

You will need two antennas aimed in different directions. It IS possible
that some channels will be acceptably received on both, but do not bet
on it for 100% reliability.

Two antennas, two lineups. With 2 HDHomeRuns, each having 2 tuners, you
may want to split your lineups so that each HDHR has different lineups
on each tuner. That way, if your network cable fails, or the power wart
fails, you still have one tuner on each lineup. Keeps the grief down.

Get large antennas and consider using a pre-amp in any event. It really
does make a difference when the weather gets bad with rain or snow.

Geoff