[mythtv-users] Time to move to an HDMI stick for FEs?

Kris Jensen kris.jensen.knj at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 16:09:26 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 11:02 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 12:50 PM Kris Jensen <kris.jensen.knj at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I've gotten it to boot semi-successfully, however I've run into two
>>> problems.
>>>
>>> 1) Anytime I try to boot anything but the installed windows (EFI shell,
>>> USB ubuntu stick) it will auto-arrow key up repeatedly. I've tried
>>> different settings to resolve this in the BIOS (and different keyboards)
>>> but nothing seems to work. Until I fix this, point two is moot.
>>>

>> Yes, I have this issue as well (and lots of others as well). Bug? maybe.
>> Some measure to thwart non MS-OS? likely. I have seen no BIOS that fixes
>> it. yet. However you can boot an install CD, with the boot32.efi trick.
>> Then chroot is your friend.
>>

>>> 2) Ubuntu fails to boot and complains the NTFS partition is either in a
>>> inconsistent state or is in hibernation. I've not looked at this too much
>>> since it's kinda pointless to do so without fixing #1.
>>>

>> I have not tried duel booting OS's. So cant help there.
>>

>> Have you seen? (
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Cp8PHEmNrlDufVoDpeEqNEdGWJi_cZ_Mo6VC7QDeN8s/edit?pli=1)
>>    Good tips there.
>>

>> Hope it's of help
>> Kris
>>

> I've tried the listed 32-bit EFI here and also tried reformatting my USB
> stick to GPT (from MSDOS), but I'm still getting that auto-arrow up issue.

That bios bug is not a show stopper. IT can be worked around. The bug only
happens when its booting (grub selection screen, EFI screen).
Once the kernel has loaded you'll not see that bug.

I didn't go with the prebuilt .efi file. I built from source.
Here is a good link on the tips too build yourself. (
https://github.com/lopaka/instructions/blob/master/ubuntu-14.10-install-asus-x205ta.md
)

Once I built the .efi file and placed it in the appropriate folder/dir on
the USB boot stick I was able to boot in to the Myth/Ubuntu/Linux install
CD. The backspace bug will be present on the install CD/USB Grub menu,
However since most install CD's have Grub menus layed out with the first
entry usually *”Try before installing”* All you need to do is press enter
and boot in to the install environment.

Once in the CD/usb install environment. Simply install.
After the install process is done. I chrooted in to the Meego's installed
file system and rebuilt Grub with a 32bit EFI and made sure the Meego's
Grub is set to the correct menu item with auto select option on. And
rebooted into the new install. Bug well still be there on Grub/EFI shell
screens. Just ignore, You can always reboot the install CD/usb to repair
the Meego's file system if needed.

Hope its of help.
Kris