[mythtv-users] LIVA frontend .. one last question

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Sun Mar 29 20:04:55 UTC 2015

OK lovely people,

I think I'm sold on the Lava machine. I've read everything I can find
about Lava MythTV frontends today, and most people seem to say that it's
great. Hopefully I wont have some of the niggles that come people have
had, but if I do, they didn't seem like the worse things in the world.
I'm a bit worried about what some people have about the deinterlacing
(VAAPI/VDPAU etc), but there's always a downside, unless you've got very
deep pockets. I think I need to just 'such it and see' with that one.

On to the question before I buy.

Will the machine play internet based 'catch up' tv ok? Things like BBC's
iPlayer and the ITV player. That's pretty much the only other thing I
need the machine to do outside of being a MythTV frontend. I just wanted
to ask in case playing that sort of footage, online, would be difficult
for the system in some way.

Let me know what you think.

Oh, and is there any reason why I shouldn't order one from the USA (for
UK use)? I'm asking in terms of the power supply. I don't want to buy it
and then fry it!

And I've just thought of another question!
Would loading Ubuntu (and then Mythbunu on top) be fine with this machine?
Or would it be significantly better to keep to a standard Mythbuntu
insall (with Xfce)?

Cheers,
Damian