[mythtv-users] FE Stop/Restart for Smooth Playback

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 16:51:03 UTC 2015

On 3/28/15 12:29 PM, jim wrote:

> On 03/28/2015 11:51 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:

>>> If the difference were vaapi wouldn't the problem be present all the
>>> time? I
>>> wonder if something else running on my system contributes, or if the
>>> OS (Mint
>>> 17.1) is involved. What OS are you running?
>>> I will also check the log file for a recording playback pre/post FE
>>> start/stop.
>>>
>> Any problem like this doesn't automatically have to be continuous.
>> For example, different programs may have different bit rates/frame
>> rates/screen formats. These can impose differing demands on the video
>> driver and hardware.
>>
>> The same also goes for audio, incidentally. If the audio encoding
>> changes mid transmission - say for a commercial break - then that
>> might cause buffering problems which could affect the vodeo.
>>
>> As Mark wrote above, your best bet is to look at the logs, a segment
>> which works and a segment which is bad.
>>
> I use recorded Jeopardy! episodes for testing as the panning of
> categories in Jeopardy! makes for a great test of smooth motion in
> playback. When I test I use the same exact recording, pre and post FE
> stop/start. The FE stop/start completely fixes the problem for some
> inexact period of time. I've not done a good log comparison between a
> smooth playback and a jerky one, and will do so as soon as the
> problems appears again.
>
> I've never noticed a situation wherein the smoothness is better/worse
> before/after a commercial break. I've experimented with SD and HD and
> the full range of standard frame rates. None of that seems to stress
> the system. If the FE has been recently stopped/started all
> combinations are good. The problem behaves more like a buffer/cache
> issue that builds over time and eventually causes a problem. Why FE
> stop/start helps I do not know.
>
> I really appreciate the time people contribute on this mail list
> answering questions. It really helps. Thanks.

Try running top during the post restart of the FE and during the poorly
performing ones. That also might give you a clue.
I've had to do that many times, a couple of times, process hogs turned
up. Tuning or stopping unnecessary ones fixed the issue I was having
(non-mythtv system, but the troubleshooting remains the same).