[mythtv-users] FE Stop/Restart for Smooth Playback

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Mar 28 15:51:41 UTC 2015

On 28/03/15 14:41, jim wrote:

>>> Based on receiving no answers it may be that nobody else experiences this
>>> problem. Please confirm if you do not.
>>> My system is very modern, and has plenty of RAM. I wonder what causes this
>>> issue?

>> I do not have this problem, my FE can be on for weeks or months at a time. But
>> I have nvidia graphics, where I assume you use VAAPI.
>>
>> I would recommend starting by comparing the log file for a recording that
>> plays fine with that of one that does not to see what the differences are.
>>
> If the difference were vaapi wouldn't the problem be present all the time? I
> wonder if something else running on my system contributes, or if the OS (Mint
> 17.1) is involved. What OS are you running?
> I will also check the log file for a recording playback pre/post FE start/stop.

Any problem like this doesn't automatically have to be continuous. For example,
different programs may have different bit rates/frame rates/screen formats.
These can impose differing demands on the video driver and hardware.

The same also goes for audio, incidentally. If the audio encoding changes mid
transmission - say for a commercial break - then that might cause buffering
problems which could affect the vodeo.

As Mark wrote above, your best bet is to look at the logs, a segment which works
and a segment which is bad.

--

Mike Perkins