[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup issue: KWorld USB ATSC TV Stick UB435-Q V3

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 11:27:45 UTC 2015

Hoi Stephen,

Friday, March 27, 2015, 11:07:54 AM, you wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 21:52:00 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:

>>On Wed, 25 Mar 2015, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>>
>>> First check in your log/dmesg if you're missing firmware. I for
>>> instance need sys-firmware/ivtv-firmware for my pvr500/350
>>> Also sys-kernel/linux-firmware contains a lot.
>>
>>I don't see any indicators in dmesg output or in /var/log/messages that
>>there is any firmware needed. Not completely sure what I'd be looking for
>>there, but I've also searched this tuner's name and the word "firmware"
>>using google and have found only some Windows files. So that doesn't look
>>like a promising avenue to me.

> Some drivers do not seem to log any messages about firmware.  Some log
> messages if firmware is not found.  Good ones log when they request
> the firmware and when it is loaded.  So unfortunately, the absence of
> messages about firmware does not mean that it is set up correctly. And
> it is common for devices that require firmware to create the correct
> /dev entries even if they have not got it.

> If a device needs firmware in Windows, it will also need firmware in
> Linux.  Quite frequently, the same firmware is what is needed, but I
> am unsure if the format of a Windows firmware file is the same as what
> is needed for Linux.  Not infrequently, there are scripts posted that
> will extract the required Linux firmware file from the Windows
> drivers.

I googled around a bit and also came on to your thread on gentoo.
First you need at least kernel version 3.16.
I gather your using gentoo-sources for kernel and it is very possible
you forgot something in configuring. v4l is tricky. I suggest you
emerge genkernel and see if it will work with that. You can easily
have more kernels side by side. Just add them both to your
boot-loader. If you get it working that way you can compare the loaded
modules.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven