[mythtv-users] Random Hard Frontend Lockups

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 22:27:48 UTC 2015

Hoi R.,

> On 26/03/15 04:49 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> ,
>>A few thoughts and questions:
>>
>> Don't be sure it won't be the keyboard. Last year I have diagnosed
>> weird behavior, especially round boot time to an occasional hanging
>> key on a keyboard. Although unlikely it's worth it, to tryout with
>> another keyboard.

> I will try going back to the old keyboard. I doubt that it is the
> problem, though, as generally the keyboard is not powered on. One of the
> things I liked about the new keyboard, is that it actually has a power
> switch. Until about a month ago, I doubt that I used the keyboard more
> than once a month during the prior year... I only switched to be able to
> get rid of the mouse!

>> What do you mean by:
>>> I am now getting random hard lockups of the front end. The backend
>>> continues to run, and recordings are made as scheduled, But the system
>>> is totally unresponsive.
>>
>> Are they both running on the same system?

> Yes: Combined BE/FE

>> For if recordings then are
>> still made, it is only the frontend proccess or X or the videocard
> I doubt the video-card: which is a Hauppauge 2250 used for ATSC only. It
> has continued to record throughout, as has the HDHomeRun.
> Yes, frontend or X....

>> If so, can you still access the system through a text console
> NO
>   or ssh?
> NO
>> Can you still ping the system?
> NO.  Times out
>> If you run mythweb, can you still access it?
> NO
>> Can you still access the default web interface on ports 6544(backend),
>> 6547(frontend)?
> NO
>> If you use nfs or samba, can you still access those?
> I don't use either of those.

So the backend still runs, but the network is down!
It means the kernel is still somehow running.
Does syslog show any kernel exceptions?
Does it still respond to powering down by short pressing the power
button? (if of cause you have set it in the bios to respond that way)

> As I noted, it is a HARD lock. When a script goes haywire on firefox,
> there is usually *SOME* responsiveness. It may take a couple of minutes
> for the mouse pointer to respond but eventually I can usually get to a
> console, and get it open and 'killall firefox' or whatever.
> But in the mythbox freeze instances, EVERYTHING up front is frozen hard.

> I *am* beginning to think it may be a memory fault, in the space where X
> or the frontend will always reside. (ie: 'above' the backend/mysql
> processes which are started before X is launched.)

> Geoff

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven