[mythtv-users] Fronted advice

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Wed Mar 25 18:03:45 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'm doing some computer juggling. Planning on giving the kids the old
'tank' of a machine that's in the garrage at the moment (working as an
over powered frontend), so I'm looking for a new frontend machine.

I got a bit excited todat when I started to read about the Rasbery Pi 2.
I love the idea of buying one of those as a MythTV frontend.
Unfortunately, further reading seemed to conclude that that's still not
an option.

As it's not my main machine, I'd rather not get into builing a system
from scratch. I'd like to just buy a front end box if possible.

I need it to be capable of HD playback and it will be connecting to a
BenQ W1300 projector (if that's relevant).

Pretty much the only other use for the frontend will be a bit of
browsing in firefox and 'catchup tv' via iPlayer and ITV player etc.

Any recommendations? And what sort of price am I looking at? Fingers
crossed for something in the Rasbery Pi type of price bracket, but not
holding out much hope for that :-)

The other option is keeping the tank in the garrage and finding a
reasonably priced desktop machine for the kids. However, I was guessing
that that would be the more expensive option?

The kids machine will also be a MythtV frontend, but will be used much
more heavily.

I may even get two new machines if the prices are right, so if you have
recommendations for either machine, please let me know.

I've set up the kids with a new desk area and set up a machine that has
been handed down from my wife's office. I was hoping that it would be
good enough for an Xbuntu system, but it's not. I've done a clean instal
and it's crashing contently.

Anyway, I'll shut up now! Looking forward to any tips :-)

Cheers,
Damian