[mythtv-users] MythtTV on Gentoo: resources?

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Tue Mar 24 20:43:15 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 4:16 PM, James Miller <gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Mar 2015, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>
>  Tuesday, March 24, 2015, 8:25:20 PM, you wrote:
>>
>>  Hoi James,
>>>

>>  As long as the user is created and has sufficient rights. I believe
>>> there is an sql script included to setup the database. I'll check.
>>>

>> look at /usr/share/mythtv/database/mc.sql
>>

> Thanks for your input, Hika. I'm pretty much totally in the dark when it
> comes to databases. Could you offer any further pointers on what is to be
> done with /usr/share/mythtv/database/mc.sql? I looked at the content of
> that file on my old MythTV system but did not understand much about it. I
> also found https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Initial_Installation
> which had some further information but looks a bit dated.

You need to set up the root password for mysql/mariadb

I think this does the trick for your password and does some basic security
hardening.  Takes like 2 minutes, if that.

$ mysql_secure_installation

>From the wiki:

> mysql -u root -p  < /usr/share/mythtv/database/mc.sql

You need to run that to initialize the database.  You could look at the
Fedora guide and draw some tips from there.
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora

I am not 100% positive, since I did this a couple of years ago, but I think
you have to grant the mythtv user rights to the database.  From the Fedora
guide:

/usr/bin/mysql -u root -p mythconverg
mysql> GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv@"%" identified by  "mythtv";
mysql> flush privileges;

You can, of course, omit this step and then run it if you have problems.
Perhaps there is a more restrictive and secure method of granting
privileges.  I am not a DB Admin by profession.

The initial setup is basically the same across platforms.  Most of those
steps have remained the same.  It's the tweaking that is different, and I
advise you to keep good notes for the next time around.

Jerry