[mythtv-users] Ion2 Optimizations

Michael Wisniewski mikewiz38 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 13:25:07 UTC 2015

Myth Users,

I was wondering how many people out there are using Ion 2 boxes with Myth
frontend, and what kinds of settings you have enabled to make the best
experience.  It seems like these boxes work well, but there are some things
you have to do first.  A few random wiki pages make some suggestions, but I
haven't found anything that says do this this and this in one central
location.

>From my experience, here is what I had to do so far....and I'm sure there's
more that I'm missing.

- Using Mythbuntu 14.04.2
- During the install, use the nouveau.  Blacklist it after the install and
use the nvidia driver from nvidia version 340.76. Couldn't get HDMI audio
to work with built in drivers, or even the one from the ubuntu repo.  The
real driver from nvidia got HDMI to work.
- Enable 'vdpau' in the configuration of mythfrontend.  Resolution is
anything greater than 0,0.
- In the vdpau section, enable the de-interlacers.  I have to check what I
have enabled.
- Disable the 'upmix to 5.1 audio'.  When this was enabled, there was high
cpu utilization (about 40% to 50% for mythfrontend).  This caused the EPG's
audio to break up when paging through, since there was an additional load
on the frontend.  Disabling the upmix dropped the utilization down to about
10% and mostly fixed the audio issues.

I'm wondering what else is out there that I'm missing.  The wiki says
to vdpauhqscaling, but I haven't tried that yet.  Thanks in advanced...