[mythtv-users] Question about mythlcdserver

Mike Holden mikeholden99+mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 00:07:18 UTC 2015

On 23 March 2015 at 09:14, Nicolas Krzywinski <myth at site7even.de> wrote:

> Am 2015-03-11 13:00, schrieb mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org:
>
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 07:40:54 +1100
>> From: Mike Holden <mikeholden99+mythtv at gmail.com>
>> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Question about mythlcdserver
>>
>> On 11 March 2015 at 03:05, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>>
>>  mythlcdserver seems to be starting too soon.  The startup scriptsfor
>>> Mythbuntu will be maintained by the Mythbuntu developer(s)responsible
>>> for that package.  You may want to file a bug report.
>>>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+bugs
>>>

>> On my system (fedora), mythlcdserver is started by mythfrontend, notby
>> some external script. That way, it doesn't start too early.
>>
> This seems to be the case on my system as well, but there is nothing in
> the mythfrontend start script, so it has to be within the mythfrontend.real
> binary code?
> Additionally I am using mythwelcome and this seems to start mythlcdserver
> as well, as it is running at that point already.
>
> I "solved" (better: workarounded) the issue with the following script,
> called from within mythfrontend starter script:
> #!/bin/bash
>
> # Check port of mythlcdserver
> foo=`netstat -l --tcp | grep 6545`
> ret=$?
>
> if [ $ret = 0 ]
>         then echo "Everything fine."
> else
>         # Wait for lcd symlink
>         for i in `seq 1 120` ; do
>                 echo "`date +'%FT%T.%N%:z'` - manage-lcd loop $i"
>
>                 if [ -h /dev/lcd-imon ]
>                         then break
>                 else
>                         sleep .5
>                 fi
>         done
>
>         # Restart mythlcdserver
>         killall mythlcdserver
>         mythlcdserver > /var/log/mythtv/mythlcdserver-manual.log &
> fi
>
> As I don't know whether the loop is needed, it works like that.
>
> The way, mythlcdserver is called, is at least ... kind of weird.

Yes, it's mythfrontend that starts the mythlcdserver on my system.

Fedora doesn't have the wrapper scripts, and I don't use mythwelcome either.

You could probably simplify your script even more, and just have it kill
the mythlcdserver, but not attempt to restart it. Mythfrontend will start
it for itself.

--
Mike Holden