[mythtv-users] Open Source Linux driver for Hauppauge HD PVR 2 (1080p over HDMI) released!

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 18:17:19 UTC 2015

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 5:54 PM, Andrew C. (AFPup) Stadt <acstadt at stadt.ca>
wrote:

> On 15-03-09 06:22 PM, John P Poet wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Mar 8, 2015 at 8:11 AM, Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com <mailto:
>> mythtv at sky.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     On 03/03/15 22:06, Paul Harrison wrote:
>>

>>         On 02/03/15 18:37, Full Name wrote:
>>
>>             Hi,
>>
>>             Hauppauge has released an open source Linux driver for its
>>             HD PVR 2 model 1512, capable of capturing a 1080p video
>>             stream over HDMI.
>>
>>             ftp://ftp.hauppauge.com/Support/Test/Lin/hauppauge_
>> driver_src_ver5.tgz
>>
>>             This is the only personal video recorder on the market
>>             that can capture full HD video at 30 fps (1080p30) over
>>             HDMI and that has an open source Linux driver.
>>
>>             It would be great to have this driver merged upstream so
>>             that it works with Linux out of the box. Could anyone ask
>>             the kernel developers on the linux-media list
>>             (http://www.linuxtv.org/lists.php) if they would be
>>             interested in porting it?
>>
>>             Thanks,
>>             Bill
>>

>>         So has any HD PVR 2 owner tried this yet? I don't own one but
>>         curious to know if it works.
>>
>>         It compiled OK here once I made the rebuild.sh executable and
>>         HDPVR2-testApp -h works but that is as far as I can go.
>>
>>         Paul H.
>>

>>     Well I got myself a HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition and can confirm the
>>     driver works.
>>
>>     It's clearly a leak of the alpha driver since some things are
>>     clearly not finished or tested and the debugging is very verbose.
>>     It's easy to get it to segfault since many error conditions aren't
>>     checked - for example passing a filename of a file that isn't
>>     writeable will segfault the test app.
>>
>>     A couple of things that had me puzzled you need vim installed to
>>     get it to compile since the build uses the xxd utility which on my
>>     Gentoo system is provided by app-editors/vim-core. Second it seems
>>     to capture from the HDMI port you need both the input and output
>>     HDMI connectors on the HD PVR2 connected to something otherwise
>>     the test app fails with a No input connected error. Even with it
>>     connected the pass through doesn't seem to work but the capture
>>     does work.
>>

>> I will happily add the necessary bits to Myth to get this working, but it
>> sounds like I should wait a while before splurging on a HD PVR2.  I did
>> email Hauppauge support asking about the driver, and they simply responded
>> that it is still in "beta", with no offer to supply me with an "official"
>> copy.
>>
>> My HD PVR1 units have worked well, but I do get a couple of recording
>> failures each month.  It would be nice if the HD PVR2 works well.
>>

>> John
>>
>>  Out of curiosity John, how many recordings work for you vs fail? Just
> curious, I'm running 2x HDPVR(1) with Bell ExpressVu and have almost zero
> failures. I also get a few channels via HD-Homerun (OTA) and occasionally
> have signal issues with those recordings, but, knock-on-wood, the HD-PVR's
> [...]

Hi Andrew.

Pretty much every one of the failures is the result of the STB doing
something unexpected.  The HD-PVR(1) does not recover from the unexpected
well at all.  If you tell it to "start encoding" while the STB is still
trying to get its act together, you will not end up with a good recording.
I am hoping the HD-PVR(2) handles such situations better.

For reference, I am using Directv H20 STBs.  They are pretty old at this
point, but they have optical S/PDIF and I have never had any problem with
audio/video sync with Dolby Digital.

John