[mythtv-users] OS X Installer Updated - March 2015

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sun Mar 22 00:25:30 UTC 2015

At 6:40 PM -0400 3/21/15, George Nassas wrote:
>On Mar 21, 2015, at 2:50 PM, Craig Treleaven
><<mailto:ctreleaven at cogeco.ca>ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
>

>>For new installs, this remains the easiest way to install a
>>complete OS X-based MythTV system.
>>

>Would it be feasible to adapt the port too produce an incomplete
>MythTV system? e.g., just the frontend? And, I track master so I'd
>build from my local tree.
>
>I can do my tinkering, I'm mostly curious if there's likely success
>at the end or just a bunch of frustration.

I haven't attempted to build master yet.  Others on MacPorts are
working on Qt5 and making it co-installable with Qt4.  I know that
they've got some Qt5-based apps working so I should give it a go soon.

If you're OK to install MacPorts, it is easy enough to modify the
Portfile for mythtv-core.27 but there are a couple of things to keep
in mind:
-if you have other software installed (say in /usr/local), it can
mess up MacPorts builds (version conflicts, etc)
-MacPorts isn't designed to fetch updates from a version control
system like git.  It wants to build from a snapshot--I use GitHub's
feature to create archives from a commit.  Not a big deal but I have
to update the commit hash and checksums each time I want to pull a
newer version.

Any local ports you develop/modify are recognized as follows:
http://guide.macports.org/#development.local-repositories

As to frontend only, the fe and be need all the same libraries so the
savings for a frontend-only build is trivial.  There is a switch in
configure that may do that but I've never tried.  I think it was
disabled for quite some time.

Depending what you want to do, you may be better to use the
osx-packager script and build a bundled frontend?

Craig