[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi as a slave backend server

jrh jharbestonus at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 20:09:33 UTC 2015

> On Mar 21, 2015, at 12:56 PM, Dave MythTV <dave.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 8:22 PM, jrh <jharbestonus at gmail.com <mailto:jharbestonus at gmail.com>> wrote:
> I have experimented some using the raspberry pi as a slave backend server and have had generally good results with caveats.
>
> Configuration:
> Raspberry Pi Slave backends running v 27.4(dated in November)
> NFS mount to the Master backend for the mythtv directories.
> Hauppauge USB HVR-950Q tuner(1 only ) (configured only 1 virtual tuner so only 1 recording)
> I did not configure the analog side of the tuner, only the digital part.
>
> Using a Raspberry Pi model B and B+:
>
> Able to record Standard Definition mpg video stream.
> When attempting to record 720p or 1080i streams, there would consistently be TFW taking to long errors.
>
> Using a Raspberry Pi 2 model B: (the quad core version)
>
> Able to record Standard Definition mpg video stream
> Able to record both 720p and 1080i streams up to 15mbps!
>
> In summary, for 1 stream and a USB TV stick The RPi 2 is a viable masterbackend with the above conditions. I didn’t try multiple streams off the same real channel, but I suspicion the Pi 2 would be able to handle it.
>
> Note that I did not try analog recording as there are no analog NTSC Over the air broadcast stations in the area and so I didn’t even try to configure the analog side.
>

> Thanks for sharing this information!
>
> A few quick questions for you:
> 1) Which Linux distribution are you using?
> 2) I'm assuming this testing was with a wired network (and not a USB wireless adapter)?
> 3) Do you have any thoughts on the source of the TFW errors on the Pi 1?  Such as, whether the TFW errors with the Pi 1 were related to the CPU loading, pushing the data out across the network, or a limitation of the USB system?  (Since it kept up OK with standard definition streams, I'm wondering if the Pi 1 might be sufficient as a high-definition slave backend if it recorded directly to a small local USB hard drive, or even to its own SD card, and then did a non-realtime NFS data transfer back to the master backend when the tuner was idle?)
>

> Keep us posted on how things go if you try multiple streams or multiple tuners on the Pi 2!
>
> Thanks
> - Dave

I am using raspbian off the noobs image.

You are correct, I just used wired network. I didn’t even want to try going wireless.

I didn’t even try experimenting using a local usb drive as that wouldn’t fit my usage scenario, so are still all good questions.

I will be staying with a single USB tuner for my needs, and Since I started using the RPi 2 configured as above, I have had no TFW errors since starting to use it!

I have no plans whatsoever to try to use an RPi of any kind as a frontend, however, they are very insteresting as a remote backend like I am using. The pi 2 plus the hauppauge USB tuner are only using around 7 watts while recording!

By the Way, I noticed I goofed above when I said it was a viable master backend. I meant to say it is a viable SLAVE backend.

An experiment I might try sometime in the future is to have an RPi as a masterbackend ONLY with no tuners(just define a dummy recorder). No immediate plans to try that tho yet.

Regards