[mythtv-users] hdhomerun channel scan failing

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 15:12:22 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 10:39 PM, Kristo Kriechbaum <klk at kajisti.org> wrote:
> This may or may not be related - 'hdhomerun_conifg discover' fails, but I
> can put in the IP address and it will work. Running the hdhomerun_config_gui
> from a windows machine auto discovers it just fine.

Windows has a particular configuration advantage here
in that applications can install firewall rules for their
use (with many variants, including the ability that a
rule only applies to a specific program, and that the
rule only applies to the local lan (not internet)).  There
is no equivalent (generic, across all platform) standard
API for Linux, so there is no automated process at
install for firewall rules, and the user is responsible
for all configuration.

> The OS is Fedora 21. I am fairly certain I disabled the firewall. I went so
> far as to completely uninstall firewalld. There are no processes with the
> name "firewall" or "iptables" in it.

Well, there never should be a process with the name
iptables in it.  The filters are in the kernel tables.

As you say, the most common reason discover does
not work is that one or more network protections are in
place. To determine if you actually have any filters installed
try, as root:

   /usr/sbin/iptables --list

It should show the INPUT, OUTPUT, and FORWARD
chains as Policy ACCEPT, and no other rules displayed.
If it shows anything else, you still have firewall rules
in place.