[mythtv-users] HD TV tuners, USB (UK)

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Mar 18 17:43:08 UTC 2015

On 17/03/15 07:51 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 17/03/15 23:01, Mike Perkins wrote:
> I have a PC 290e too, and results are good.
>
> I'm afraid it's no longer true that all DVB-T2 HD in the UK arrives on
> one mux.  In general I record in HD only when testing or, rarely, when I
> think the subject might justify it, but here, with only one HD-capable
> device, I can't record eg BBC 4HD or BBC News HD at the same time as any
> of the other main HD channels.
>
> ...and my earlier comment about unplugging a USB device may need
> mythbackend to be stopped too.

Although it is not too likely that your setup uses a driver, if your USB
tuners use any sort of driver, you might try a 'modprobe -r <driver>;
modprobe <driver>

dmesg and lsmod can tell you if the device uses a driver.
.
This should not require a restart of the backend *provided* that the
driver insertion does not force a change of the device (eg
/dev/usb-thingy1 to /dev/usb-thingy2.. which might require a force-fix
with udev).

Geoff