[mythtv-users] HD TV tuners, USB (UK)

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Mar 18 08:44:48 UTC 2015

On 18 Mar 2015, at 00:01, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:

> On 17/03/15 21:55, Damian wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Now that I've got my shiny new HD projector, I'm wanting some HD TV!
>>
>> I did a seach of the UK transports, but no HD channels turned up. I'm
>> guessing that's because my 2 Hauppauge USB tuners don't work with HD. I
>> believe these are the ones I bought a couple of years ago ...
>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000F8RPQE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
>>

>> So, I'm in the market for one or two HD USB TV tuners.
>>
>> Is that all need to do to start getting some HD content?
>>
>> And can anyone recommend any?
>>
>> I've seen these ...
>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/August-DVB-T205-Freeview-Tuner-Stick/dp/B002EHVP9C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1426339150&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+digital+tv+tuner+uk
>>

>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/August-DVB-T210-Television-Definition-Compatible/dp/B008D8K50Q/ref=pd_sim_computers_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=17FST3XRH42233TNZ4BQ
>>

>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/August-DVB-T202-Freeview-Tuner-Stick/dp/B00527OCT6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1426339150&sr=8-5&keywords=usb+digital+tv+tuner+uk
>>

>> .. but I'm not exactly sure that I'm looking at the right thing.
>>
>> Also, while I'm on USB tuners, I've had an onging MythTV problem where
>> if the server it just left on for a frw months, at some point Live TV
>> and new recordings will just stop working. A re-boot fixes this, but
>> it's obviously annoying. I've wondered if it's caused by the USB tuners
>> 'going to sleep' in some way (or refusing to wake up). Has anyone else
>> experienced this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Damian
>
> You might find that unplugging and re-plugging the usb device will re-initialise it.  Still annoying, but less traumatic than a reboot.

I found that it’s possible to unload and reload the driver with modprobe -r em28xx and modprobe en28xx, need to get the device released first, probably need to stop MythTV or maybe it’s possible to get it to release some other way.

I also found that since I upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04.2 (for the 3.16 kernel for the T292) my T290 & T292 are now working for most of a month (or however long since 14.0.4.2 was released) without needing a driver reload or replugging. Before the T290 needed a replug or driver reload anything from a few hours to a week!

You can’t buy the T290 any more, even if you think you are buying a T290 they will send you a T292 instead, several friends have been caught out! Since the 3.16 kernel the T292 seems to work fine though.

I think there is some issue with the T2 switching in MythTV but I’m not using mine in MythTV yet, still testing. I’m using mine only on the HD mux (only the main one here) as I’m only interested in the HD channels.

Andre