[mythtv-users] Any way to test 3D on my new projector?

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 15:59:37 UTC 2015

On 15/03/2015 21:44, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 4:30 AM, Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>> On 13 Mar 2015, at 20:49, Damian <myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I've just set up my shiny new BenQ W1300 projector.
>>>
>>> It came with some 3D Glasses, but I don't have a BluRay DVD player.
>>>
>>> I've been told that MythTV can't play 3D.
>>>
>>> Is there any other way to test out the 3D on the projector via my Mythbutu frontend?
>> You can try with SBS side by side 3D, Myth will play that. You have to manually select the 3D mode on the projector and the 3D isn’t amazing but it will give you a feel of it and let you test.
>>
>> Technically what you need is half side by side or even half top and bottom although that’s rarer. The half resolution means it fits into a normal HD frame so it can be broadcast or streamed as if it were a normal HD video.
>>
>> Myth can operate in 3D mode for these videos as far as menus and subtitles are concerned but I think you need to use software decoding and open GL rendering for that option to be present, vdpau or vaapi doesn’t work with 3D mode.
>>
>> Googling 3D SBS might find you something to try out.
>>
>> I might be able to send you some links when I’m back from this week’s business trip if you haven’t found anything useful by next weekend.
>
> Kodi/XBMC will also do 3d SBS (and TAB) - the picture is just 1080p
> anyway, the TV assembles it into 3D.
>
> There are plenty of samples here:
>
> http://www.demo-world.eu/3d-demo-trailers-hd/
Thanks everyone,

I've downloaded some samples and will see what my projector makes of
them tonight.

I have no idea how the projector will know what to do with them, or how
the glasses will know how fast to 'do their thing', but I'll see how far
walking into it blind gets me :-)

Cheers,
Damian

>> Andre
>>
>>> I don't think I'll be using 3D much (or at all if I can't get it to work), but I'l like to at least see it without having to by any extra hardware.
>>>
>>> Let me know if there's anything I can do or not.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Damian