[mythtv-users] Troubleshooting video problems on my combined FE/BE

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Thu Mar 12 21:53:36 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 4:29 PM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm finding that constant swapping between progressive and interlaced very
> odd. Do you get those messages on the non-stuttering frontend? Does the
> recording play stutter free on the main frontend if you use another player
> like VLC? What does mediainfo say about the file?
>
> It is not uncommon for the format to change at commercial breaks and the
> like but the messages above seem to indicate it is changing every few
> seconds and sometimes every few frames!

Mediainfo -> http://pastebin.com/NcnztyaN

The mythfrontend log is here ->
http://filebin.ca/1ublTeKw2tya/nonstuttering_fe_log.txt.bz2

It is dominated by the progressive/interlaced battle for the screen.  Where
the CPU alerts on the FE/BE showed one core pegged at 100%, I do not see
lines in this log saying "jitterometer.cpp" -- instead I am seeing lines
with values in the 4% to 10% for each core. I'm not seeing the problems
with the playback here, though -- I can't understand it but this slower
machine plays the file more smoothly.

It's very possible that I'm getting garbage data from my cable company.  I
see a lot of compression artifacts on the screen.  It's like watching XViD
files from the early 2000s.  But I can live with it -- I'm pretty new to
HD, and when I really want to watch something, I rent it or buy it.

I wasn't having problems with my old PVR-500 but of course the files and
bit rates etc. were much smaller.

Still, though.  I would think my backend could handle a small mpeg-2
workout.  I must have a mistake in my configuration.

Oh, I did sort out that weird kernel warning I was getting for my Intel
sound.  The error is gone now, but the glitches remain like a bad rash,
haha.

Thanks for your help!
Jerry