[mythtv-users] Question about mythlcdserver

Nicolas Krzywinski myth at site7even.de
Mon Mar 9 22:29:05 UTC 2015

Hello Myth Experts,

recently I was forced to upgrade my Mythbuntu system from Ubuntu 12.04 to
14.04. After that, the imon lcd display only worked sometimes. I found
out, that this was caused by changing /dev/lcdX names, where 0 <= X <= 2
which I was able to solve with an udev rule.
The udev rule creates a symlink /dev/lcd-imon that always points to the
correct changing lcd device.
Reference: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1186569

Now the LCDd works fine, but mythlcdserver seems to not like something
 from it's new environment. I am not sure, whether the symlink story above
is relevant to this, though.
While informations from mythbackend always are displayed correctly on the
lcd display, the mythfrontend informations fail (always or mostly). I
tracked this down to the mythlcdserver not opening it's port 6545, leaving
mythfrontend no chance to connect after 10 tries. Killing the
mythlcdserver process(es) and restarting it manually solves the problem.
Then a restart of mythfrontend leads to a working informational output of
frontend informations onto the lcd display.

This wouldn't be a problem if I would not fail to
a) find any configuration for mythlcdserver (except the mythfrontend
options of what to display)
b) find the call of mythlcdserver (which seems to be automatically started
at mythfrontend startup?? weird...
c) bring this guy to log into it's mythlcdserver.log!! (this is an
ancestored problem of b) of course)

Additional info: I am using mythwelcome

Where to fix or at least start debugging the issue? Seems to be a timing
problem again .... 80% of my Ubuntu problems are around timing ....

Regards,
Nicolas