[mythtv-users] Backend window manager messed up

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Mon Mar 9 06:22:22 UTC 2015

On 09/03/2015 00:09, faginbagin wrote:
> On 3/8/2015 4:06 PM, Damian wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm running MythBuntu on my home server's backend. The server is in the garage and I access it via primarily via VNC.
>>
>> For a few weeks now, the window manager (Xfce) has been messed up. When I log into VNC, it looks 'kind of' like it usually does, but there's no visible panel at the top (although I think that's just because other windows are in front of it rather than below it) and the other windows on screen (Firefox, SpiderOak, TeamViewer etc) don't have a top bar. The bar that you use to move, close, maximise and minimise a window. Those top bars are simply not there.
>>
>> Most things seem to be working ok with the server. The MythTV backend is functioning fine. My music server (Logitec Media Server) is working fine. I seem to remember that Dropbox stopped working, for some reason, a week or two before this problem started, but I didn't worry too much about that.
>>
>> So, it's household function is 'OK', but I can't do anything else on the machine because the GUI is messed up.
>>
>> Do you lovely people have any idea how to fix this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Damian
>>

> If you can get to the backend via ssh or telnet, you can probably restore the gui without rebooting using these commands:
> sudo stop lightdm
> sudo start lightdm
> Rebooting should work too.
>
> HTH,
> Helen

Thanks for trying Helen. However, I should have mentioned that I have
rebooted many times since this problem began.

I have also just done ...
sudo stop lightdm
sudo start lightdm
... as you suggested.

Unfortunately, it's all still broken. Not bars above any of the windows.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Damian