[mythtv-users] Need tuner trade-off information with Comcast service

Michael Wisniewski mikewiz38 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 18:54:03 UTC 2015

About two weeks ago, I bit the bullet and bought a HDHR Prime box to use
with a cablecard on Comcast.  I was very leery about it because I would be
afraid it wouldn't work and I was stuck with the HDHR Prime box because of
some crazy encryption thing Comcast does.  Nobody I talked to at comcast
gave me a good feeling about it working well either, but I thought I would
take a chance.

I'm glad I did.  I am very happy with the HDHR box.  I know the Ceton has 3
more tuners than the HDHR one, and I want to say that Ceton works better on
Windows than Linux (don't know for sure though).  I run Mythbackend on
Ubuntu and then Kodi on an ION2 box for a frontend and it works great.
Granted, the Kodi EPG is hard to read and will be switching back to Myth's
front end soon....but it does work.

I would do a google search for the phone number to use to active the
cablecard.  Some people have horror stories, but when I called, the lady
asked if it was a Tivo or HDHomeRun Prime tuner.  Maybe I just got lucky...

Mike