[mythtv-users] New Upnp Channel Changer Script (Dish VIP 211 users definitely read)

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Thu Mar 5 16:39:54 UTC 2015

On 2/26/15 1:36 PM, Martin Compton wrote:
> On 02/26/2015 11:14 AM, Jon Heizer wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 11:10 AM, Dan Wilga
>> <mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
>> <mailto:mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu>> wrote:
>>
>>     So I've been tinkering with the upnp interface for my VIP 211k
>>     receivers, and I'm pretty sure I've found a way to turn off the
>>     annoying nightly firmware updates that can't be disabled from the
>>     normal UI.
>>
>>     Make a copy of Jon's original vip211-channellist script (from
>>     https://github.com/jheizer/UPnPChannelChanger) and replace the
>>     call to upnp_send near the end of the script with this:
>>
>>       upnp_send $HOST 'Updates'
>>     '<Enable_disable>Disable</Enable_disable>'
>>
>>     Then, call your edited script, passing it the IP address of your
>>     receiver.
>>
>>     _______________________________________
>>

>> Do you know the effects of doing this though?  I had debated
>> including it but I never have anything recording at 3am so I left
>> it.  Will you lose new channel updates?  Miss getting access to
>> preview channels?  etc?
>>
>> Jon
>>
> I tried that when the UPnP interface first started showing up: it did
> not honor that setting and rebooted at the scheduled time anyway.
> Note that in the ViP222k you cannot disable the automatic updates via
> the menu, only change the update time.  It is worth testing, though,
> as that was at least a year ago.

Sadly, Martin's report that setting this via upnp didn't help still
seems to be the case, at least on my VIP 211k boxes. The nightly
poweroff still occurs.

So I'm forced to continue my current hack: I set up each box to do
updates at different times, one at 3:00 AM, the other at 4:00 AM. Then,
I have high-priority recording rules to record something on each box
during the update time period every night. That way, nothing I care
about gets recorded during that time.