[mythtv-users] Assigning Tuner Devices to Profiles???

John Moore (CompuCom Systems Inc) v-johmo at microsoft.com
Wed Mar 4 20:52:26 UTC 2015

From: mythtv-users [mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of David Engel
Sent: Wednesday, March 4, 2015 12:43 PM
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Assigning Tuner Devices to Profiles???

On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 10:26:29AM -0800, Karl Newman wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 9:35 AM, John Moore (CompuCom Systems Inc) <
> v-johmo at microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >  Morning,
> >
> > I have a HDHR prime 3 tuner device which MythTV connects too.  My
> > MythTV is a FE/BE setup which the FE is only used for testing.
> > Clients connect via XBMC/KODI and recordings are setup via MythWeb.
> >

> > My Question:
> >
> > Is it possible to assign a profile to a tuner?  Such as Tuner 1 to
> > Live TV, an Tuner 2 & 3 to Recordings?  I did look thru the gui
> > interface in the backend setup, and it appears not.  If I had
> > multiple back ends, could this be possible?
> >

> > My problem is that I would like to setup my recordings to make use
> > of ANY available tuner which has been assigned to it (in this case
> > tuner 2 or 3 depending on which is open) an know that Tuner 1 has been saved for Live TV.
> >

> It's not possible to "reserve" a tuner exclusively for LiveTV or
> recordings,

This is wrong.  To prevent a tuner from being used for scheduled recordings, set its schedorder to 0.  Likewise, to prevent a tunrer from being used for live TV, set its livetvorder to 0.

David

> but you can set the order so that it can help to avoid conflicts. I
> just answered this a few days ago. Take a look here:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/583628#583628 (but
> note that the name is "schedule order" not "recording order").
>
> Karl

David Engel
david at istwok.net

To answer Eric question as to why I would want this...
Currently, I only have 3 tuners, between 4 kids who have found watching TV on their tablet an setting up recordings is cool.  So now I have a situation where they are I am dealing with a lot of conflicts or (since they all have equal priority) an dealing with kids not able to watch Live TV cause 3 shows are being recorded by 2 kids at that particular hour.

Having the ability to dedicate 1 Tuner for Live TV would be a nice extra as then I can guarantee that the family can always share Live TV in the Living Room at least.  I wish there was a way to dedicate a tuner to a front end device, but that is probably asking too much.  An then only allow my kids to watch recordings via the tablets an computers.

In the above scenario, there really isn't much that I can do as the users out number the tuners.  But as I see the family using the setup, I am really considering a second HDHR Prime tuner so I have a total of 6 tuners.  Then set up 4 for live TV an 2 for recording (maybe 3 an 3).   Since Live TV seems to be recorded anyways.

I just saw David's E email as I was writing the above.
David,
Is this some thing set in the GUI that I missed, or is this via SQL only?

Thanks,
John Moore